Monday, June 21, 2010

Arrows and Trolls

After Rod's class there was one on "Signaling", and I heard people talking favorably about it afterward, but we didn't go to it. Instead we went back to work more on our Atlatls. Steven nearly finished his. I worked on mine a little while, then wandered back up to the eating area to check out the other things going on. The people who had made bows were now making arrows and attaching real arrowheads and fletching to them. This guy posed for me:

The people making gourd bowls were to the stage of decorating them, and I didn't take pictures, just talked...sorry! Quite a few have been using them in the chow line instead of the stryofoam plates the rest of us have been using. I wish I'd made one!

Sig, the guy who taught the gourd class, is a great wood carver. He sat there idly carving away at a chunk of Basswood, and next thing you know he had this little troll-looking guy carved out, complete with a little backpack! It looked almost like Steven, and everyone was laughing. Someone brought it over and held it up next to him and I took a picture. Later, Sig came over and gave it to Steven and said he'd like him to have it. We were touched by that. The little figure now sits in our living room and I feel a tug of "homesickness" for Dirt Time and all the wonderful people when I see it sitting there! (I think that's Zen's hand holding the carving by Steven's shoulder!)
The cooks did a fantastic job of recycling leftovers into amazing meals. Not only did I enjoy everything they cooked, I was happy because I didn't have to plan the meals, round up the food, cook it, and then do the clean-up! For me, THAT was a real vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment